Though fun, and rewarding part of the collegiate experience, college a cappella can be a nightmare of nuance for the uninformed student. Even choosing which groups to audition for can be its own ordeal if you’re not sure what to look for. Here are some hot insider tips that’ll put you on the fast track to instrument-free success:
- Often, groups will run open houses or meet-and-greets before auditions, and if you can successfully pretend to be a member of the group, there is no state or federal law requiring you to ever stop.
- Every group has its own traditions, like signature songs, year-end beach trips, drowning a freshman, or drowning a couple of freshmen. Plan to be drowned.
- Any group that performs in goofy hats or sings a semi-ironic rendition of Mulan’s “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” is an absolute wellspring of fun and creativity and should be pursued relentlessly.
- Some schools have a few more whimsical groups, like “pirate” a cappella groups that hijack other groups’ performances, or “sexual predator” a cappella groups that lie in wait in the dead of night.
- Some groups are steeped in decades of history, like the Yale Whiffenpoofs or the Harvard Krokodiloes. If this is intimidating, just remember: nobody cares a bit. Not even the tiniest fucking bit.
- Your audition is your one chance to introduce yourself, so make sure you pick a song that reflects YOU! If you’re fun-loving and relaxed, try the Pokemon theme. If you’re boring, how about the Pokemon theme?
- Three words: cry a little. - finish reading
Kids’ songs about sex, drugs and giving handies.
The club can’t even handle him right now.
I am the one who knocks that solo out of the park.
I bet he’s pretty good at the game Rock Band.
I’m having a hard time deciding whether I like this more than her actual lyrics.
They should have just recited “The Pledge of Allegiance,” or never agreed to do anything like this at all.
(Source: College Humor)
It ain’t over till the little psycho lady sings.
This is the song Mark Zuckerberg sings in the shower.
SURE! We’ve got more!
OWL vs DOG Epic Battle - Minus 60 Exp. Points when your dog gets rabies.
Roommate Thinks She’s Awesome at Singing - An American False Idol
"32" (Taylor Swift "22" Parody) - Like, almost-midlife crisis, OMG
Riding Through Philadelphia with a Cat on your Shoulder - Cruisin’ for puss
A reveal Ace Ventura would appreciate.