I want to get away, I want to fly away in circles above a stove.
Though fun, and rewarding part of the collegiate experience, college a cappella can be a nightmare of nuance for the uninformed student. Even choosing which groups to audition for can be its own ordeal if you’re not sure what to look for. Here are some hot insider tips that’ll put you on the fast track to instrument-free success:
- Often, groups will run open houses or meet-and-greets before auditions, and if you can successfully pretend to be a member of the group, there is no state or federal law requiring you to ever stop.
- Every group has its own traditions, like signature songs, year-end beach trips, drowning a freshman, or drowning a couple of freshmen. Plan to be drowned.
- Any group that performs in goofy hats or sings a semi-ironic rendition of Mulan’s “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” is an absolute wellspring of fun and creativity and should be pursued relentlessly.
- Some schools have a few more whimsical groups, like “pirate” a cappella groups that hijack other groups’ performances, or “sexual predator” a cappella groups that lie in wait in the dead of night.
- Some groups are steeped in decades of history, like the Yale Whiffenpoofs or the Harvard Krokodiloes. If this is intimidating, just remember: nobody cares a bit. Not even the tiniest fucking bit.
- Your audition is your one chance to introduce yourself, so make sure you pick a song that reflects YOU! If you’re fun-loving and relaxed, try the Pokemon theme. If you’re boring, how about the Pokemon theme?
- Three words: cry a little. - finish reading
The Old Fashioned is the quintessential cocktail. Classy, with just the right levels of sweet and bitter notes. And you can make one at home right now!
How To Be A Perfect Employee In 5 Simple Graphs [Click for last 2]
You’ll be a CEO in no time at all.
Pacifism, the most dangerous martial art of them all.
Stupidest Ways to Open a Bottle of Wine [Click to watch]
Never let corks stop you from glory.
How to Use Chopsticks (You’ve Been Doing It Wrong) [Click to watch]
It’s How To Basic, bitches.
How To Totally NAIL Internet Haters [Click for the last 2 TIPS - Free of charge]
Why ignore internet commenters when you can just constantly furiously respond to them?
How to Properly Fold a Shirt [Click to animate]
This is especially helpful if you work retail and don’t give a shit.
6 Life Hacks for Incredibly Lazy People [Click for the last 2]
Make your already-too-easy life even easier.